BUSINESS ON THE SUNSHINE COAST -
LANGDALE TO EARL'S COVE
Our region is primarily divided into three main business regions:
Gibsons, from Port Mellon to Roberts Creek
Sechelt, from Roberts Creek to Halfmoon Bay
and Pender Harbour, from Halfmoon Bay to Earl's Cove
COMMUNITY FUTURES SUNSHINE COAST
5500 Wharf Avenue
PO Box 128 Sechelt, BC
(above Wheatberries Bakery)
CFSC offers financing, training, and advisory services for small businesses and entrepreneurs in the Sunshine Coast community. Community Futures organizations have been dedicated to promoting rural economic development for over 20 years.
Our Community Futures office is a non-profit organization guided by a volunteer Board of Directors and staffed with business professionals. We work with community partners to help foster entrepreneurship and economic development in our region.
We provide a variety of different support services to people wanting to start, expand, franchise or sell a business in the community.
In addition we offer facilities rentals to local groups and businesses, as well as state-of-the-art video conferencing technology.
We also work in partnership with other business lenders, educational institutions, not-for-profits and community governments to grow and diversify our local economy. We are completely focused on the needs of our clients, our local businesses, and our area’s economy.
For more detailed information about all we do, please see our services page.
Community Futures is funded in western Canada by Western Economic Diversification Canada.
- Community Economic Development
- Non-Traditional Lending
- Counselling and Advisory Services
- Board Room Rental
- Video Conferencing Facility
- Small Business BC Seminars
CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE
These three business zones are served by Community Futures Sunshine Coast, and their local Chambers of Commerce:
Sechelt & District Chamber of Commerce
102 5700 Cowrie
Gibsons & District Chamber of Commerce
900 Gibsons Way
PO Box 1190
Pender Harbour Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 265
Madeira Park BC
These sites offer business, economy and some tourism information for their appropriate service region.
In addition, Chambers of Commerce serve their membership off-coast by:
- participating in province-wide information and marketing campaigns through the larger BC Chambers of Commerce organization promoting their member businesses through Tourism BC publications distributed province-wide, Canada-wide and internationally through a variety of distribution channels
- The lower Gibsons business area is also served by the Gibsons Landing Merchants Association. The Merchants Association markets and promotes the lower Gibsons area through brochures, publications and sponsorship and fundraising events throughout the year.
- The downtown core of Sechelt is served by the Sechelt Downtown Business Association (SDBA), whose members consist of all the business and property owners within the downtown commercial core. The SDBA office can be reached at (604) 885-9611, or fax (604) 885-2733.
DOWNTOWN BUSINESS ASSOCIATIONSSechelt Downtown Business Association
5710 Teredo St
The SDBA is responsible for the Business Improvement Area (BIA) in Sechelt. This is a non-profit society; its function is to:
- improve, promote and market the downtown core
- generate and raise funds to cover costs incurred for advertising and promotion for administrative services of the society
- develop and encourage communication, understanding and common interests among the downtown Sechelt businesses
- actively encourage interaction with all societies, organizations and governing bodies for the common good of the District of Sechelt
Additionally, the SDBA co-ordinates various special events throughout the year, including:
- murals & street art
- Christmas special events, Shop & Win
- Secretary's Day
- Canada Day Celebrations
- Coasters Car Club Show & Shine
- The BIA Business Beat is the SDBA newsletter, published quarterly.
Through management by volunteer directors and a paid co-ordinator, the SDBA has created a concept plan for future growth, planning and development. The SDBA, District of Sechelt, Urban Systems Consulting and members of the downtown village community recently completed a report detailing goals and implementation for the development of the downtown core. The vision agreed upon by the community will go before the District Council this year in report form as an amendment to the Official Community Plan. You can request more information about the Sechelt BIA by calling (604) 885-9611.
Gibsons is also currently in the process of forming their own Business Improvement Area.
The Sunshine Coast EconomyThe Sunshine Coast economy, long dependent on resource extraction (forestry, mining, fishing) has undergone significant changes in the last 15 years. Below is an overview of the sectors and their employment figures, from the 2014 Vital Signs Report recently presented to the community.